Thursday, October 2, 2008

HELP!!!

Some of you may laugh and say I should count my blessings but this week has killed me! Tripp has been a great sleeper for the past month or so until just this week. He has gone to bed after his last bottle around 7-7:30 and slept great until about 2:00....then all hell breaks loose! He can't get settled, kicks his legs and is arching his back. If he's on his stomach I roll him to his back and vice-versa. I thought at first it might be gas with all the leg kicking so I tried some Mylicon(sometimes I think this stuff is a mental fix more than anything) but that only soothes him for about 30 minutes which is enough time for me to get back in to bed and close my eyes. Then it stars all over again!
I'm not picking him up and don't talk to him because I don't want him to think this is the way things are going to be every night and I refuse to start a mid-nite feeding again! But last night he was SCREAMING so after changing him, I tried rocking him but that just led to a bloody lip, mine of course, from him clawing and grabbing at me! Finally, I turned on his mobile that he usually loves and just slept in his chair, only to be woken up again at 6:00.
He has been drooling heavily for a month now and loves to suck on his hands or anything else in arms reach so I'm really wondering if this is a teething thing??? But, he doesn't cry at all during the day and is the happiest baby I've seen so what's the deal?
HELP!!!!! I'm open to any and every idea/suggestion!

12 comments:

Missy said...

Hey Emily! Precious little man may be having some acid reflux. Those were symptoms holden was having and the doctor started him on medicine. Arching the back and not being able to be comforted are signs. Could be teething, although we have started teething and it is affecting our sleep more than the symptoms you described. I am no dr. but have experienced these things. Hope this helps. We do need to have a playdate. H loves other babies!!

Jeremy and Sarah said...

I am CERTAINLY no expert (considering my baby screams all day), BUT I noticed he is three months old and that is when they hit a growth spurt. Maybe that is it???

Tate Family said...

Reflux is a possibility. Wesley did the same thing when he had reflux. Maybe prop him up a little after he eats (swing or car seat).

Then again, it could just be a growth spurt...and he is stark-raving mad at mommy to give him more food. HAHA. :)

Tate Family said...

Meant to mention how much I adore the new banner/background!!!

susan said...

i love your blog and your baby pictures. I wish i could help with advice, but alas i haven't held a baby in a year :)

love ya!

Mitch and Cindy said...

Hey, I am so sorry you and Tripp are not getting sleep. I really don't think it could be teething. The drooling is a sign of teething. However, it usually comes with fever and/or runny diaper. I would call your pediatrician and talk to them because it could be acid reflux. Then again, he may be hungry. I would still make the call just to be safe.

Christian, Haley, Anna Clayton and Wells said...

hey emily! oh my, i so remember those days. it is amazing how fast you get used to sleeping again! i am thinking it may be teething or growth spurt. also, do you swaddle him? that works wonders for me. if he is going through and growth spurt, he will hungrier than normal and he could be hungry at night. you can try the bottle and he will go back to sleeping through the night soon. if it is teeth, i recommend a little tylenol and baby orajel( not sure about that spelling). anyway, good luck but this does happen from time to time!

Anonymous said...

Hey Em! So sorry that you are going through this. You must be exhausted. Abby did this when she was a baby. Turns out, it was and ear infection. But, may want to look into this reflux thing. It is strange that he mostly screams at night when he would be laying flat.

Mallorie

Jennifer said...

Hey Emily-
My first thought was growth spurt too. You may want to try a "dream" feed- that is arousing him out of sleep but not waking him right before you go to bed (10 or 11?) to feed him. My Ava had reflux and was on medicine but I'm not sure that sounds like Tripp since he isn't fussing during the day- does he sleep flat for his naps? Good luck! Whatever it is, it will get better! I'd love to get together with you sometime and meet baby Tripp!

Jennifer said...

i love your picture of the fam. what photographer do you use?

Jenny said...

ok--definitely agree with all of the above...my guess is reflux (which crew had and showed these same symptoms) or growth spurt (crew again). we started rice cereal in their bottles early to fatten them up (with doc's permission), and they slept soooo good at night b/c their tummies were full. give that a shot since he's old enough now. i hope it gets better (for you and him!!!)

love ya!!

The Shermans said...

Sam was kind of acting like that one afternoon next week. He then began running fever...we took him in, and he had an ear infection. It's just a guess, though. Who knows?